The Great Coat Closet Remodel Project: Crazy Frosting Edition

The first coat of spackle is on. I used almost an entire gallon of joint compound, just for the this first coat!

Since the first coat generally needs to be thicker, I applied the spackle using the “cake frosting” technique, which is a technique that I made up, because I am terrible at spackling. I apply the joint compound very thickly, sometimes with my fingers, and though I try to smooth it, it generally ends up looking like I have frosted a particularly decadent cake. I then rely on sanding to smooth the finish properly before the next coat.

For the the corners, I applied a coat of joint compound, then embedded paper seam tape in the spackle. Then, I applied another coat of spackle over the top of the tape, sealing the seam.

I will let the whole thing dry overnight and then sand it down tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be able to apply the second coat tomorrow afternoon, assuming that I am not too exhausted from sanding!

3 thoughts on “The Great Coat Closet Remodel Project: Crazy Frosting Edition”

  1. In my experience, Remodeling has become a thing more for the Social Media than for the actual need I guess. My wife recently got our Kitchen remodeled when I thought it was just fine and not really needed but she won’t listen. Now she’s happily sharing the Pictures all over Facebook and Instagram 🙁

    1. I think that has always been true about remodeling, or for that matter, getting a new car, TV, cell phone, etc. However, we turned our fairly useless, under-the-stairs utility closet, lined with water-stained beaver board, into a functional and useful space in our short-on-storage 100-year-old home. In the process, we added lighting, electrical outlets, and exterior insulation in the wall. We had to completely remove the door frame to replace the hot water heater that occupies part of the space, then replace the frame on completion. We had to pre-drill holes for all the drywall screws due to how hard the wood studs are. For such a tiny space, it was a fairly huge project that involved plumbing, electrical, drywall, spackle, painting, mounting fixtures, refinishing the hardwood floor, and much more. I share my progress so that other people will know that, while difficult, home repairs and upgrades can be within the reach of the weekend remodeler.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *